Why does the HMS PA Fundraise?
The administration of Humberside Montessori School provides an outstanding learning environment for our children. Each classroom is beautifully and meticulous equipped. The Humberside Montessori School Parents’ Association raises funds to further enrich the educational experiences that our children enjoy, as well as to provide events for students and families to strengthen the school community.
Unlike many private schools, the Humberside Montessori School Parents’ Association does not levy a flat rate family donation fee or activity fee for all registered students and their families. Instead, several fundraisers are run each year.
How are the Funds Used?
Funds raised by the HMS PA first are used to fund a standard set of events, initiatives, and activities. Surpluses, if any, are allocated to a combination of short-term and long-term initiatives.
The PA is undertaking the creation of a strategic plan for its long-term initiatives, and we welcome your input. If you would like to get involved in planning, or get involved in the conversation about these initiatives, come to our meetings, or reach out directly to the PA.
Class & Level Allotments
- Each class is provided with a stipend for additional items to embellish the classroom environment. Items purchased have included
- Photography studio (expanded over several years)
- Community greenhouse
- Class pet habitats & related expenses
- Musical and theatrical performances
- Musical instruments
- and more
- Each level (Casa, Lower Elementary, Upper Elementary & Adolescent) is also provided with an allocation for items that benefit the whole level.
Grad Trip Subsidy
- Graduating classes in the Adolescent Program and the Upper Elementary program often travel to different cities as for graduation trips. The children conceive of and run their own fundraisers throughout the year to support these trips, and the PA offers a small subsidy as well, to offset the costs for students travelling on these trips.
Funded Community Activities
- Welcome barbecue – most years the PA hosts a welcome barbecue for new families in early September to welcome them to the community
- Coffee Hour – at drop-off time weekly during September and January, and monthly throughout the year the PA hosts a “coffee meet and greet” in the lobby
- Storytelling – annually a storytelling event is held featuring an excellent storyteller from the GTA. This event is targeted at our younger children
- Games Night – new in 2017-18 the PA will be organizing a games night social event for our older children
- Fun Fair Caravan – annual fun fair for the whole school community held in late May/early June
- Casa graduation picnic – annual graduation picnic for casa students while the older children attend their own graduation ceremony – usually held the last day of school in a nearby park.
Fundraisers & Events
These activities are supported through a few fundraisers run each year, including:
- Gala & Fundraiser – a major parent social event and silent auction